My photo
I am a 40ish girl who absolutely loves her life! I am blessed beyond all imagination - that doesn't mean times are always easy - but they are always do-able! My husband is so stinking cute!!!...and my kids are the greatest, I really like them a lot! We run our Century ranch together as a family, we put up our own hay, raise hereford/angus cross cattle, and do all the ranch work together as a family, with the help of "Papa", and our friendly neighbors. I love being a homemaker, helper, friend, mother, wife, coffee drinker, and stall mucker! Sometimes though - things happen around here that "I didn't sign up for"! Sometimes they are funny, sometimes not......

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Just Wonderin'

Well, I was just sitting here wondering.  Wondering about family that I haven't seen in a long time.  Wondering how Colten will do in his basketball game tomorrow.  Wondering when Lizzie will ever turn into the kinda girl who LIKES to shop with her momma.  Wondering when we'll start calving.

Yeah, when calving starts, life (as I live it in my imagination) ends.  From about March until May babies are poppin out all over the ranch.  Then from June till about October, we hay, so, our lives are at the mercy of the ranch.  I'm not complaining mind you, I like that tie, but....it isn't always easy.  We have about 400 mother cows to watch over.  The cows usually do fine, it's the heifers (first time momma's) you have to watch carefully.  I remember back in 1992 when I was pregnant with our first child.  My father (Benny aka Papa) actually sent me roses for mothers day!  I hadn't delivered our son yet, and was so surprised to get flowers!  Especially from Papa.  Benny is a typical old cowboy.  He lives simply, loves his dogs (I mean LOVES his dogs), and doesn't require much from life.  He doesn't always give much either, not in a bad way, but he's just a simple kind of no-nonsense man.  After I received the flowers I had to call him (we lived in Washington state at the time).  After I thanked him, I asked him why he'd sent the flowers.  This was his answer:  "Well, Trace, you're just a young heifer now, once the kid is born, you'll be an old experienced cow and I won't have to worry anymore".  Truer words have never been spoken. 

No comments:

Post a Comment