My photo
I am a 40ish girl who absolutely loves her life! I am blessed beyond all imagination - that doesn't mean times are always easy - but they are always do-able! My husband is so stinking cute!!!...and my kids are the greatest, I really like them a lot! We run our Century ranch together as a family, we put up our own hay, raise hereford/angus cross cattle, and do all the ranch work together as a family, with the help of "Papa", and our friendly neighbors. I love being a homemaker, helper, friend, mother, wife, coffee drinker, and stall mucker! Sometimes though - things happen around here that "I didn't sign up for"! Sometimes they are funny, sometimes not......

Friday, January 15, 2010

The Break-Up

Dang it.....Colten's gonna break up with Kendra.  My heart is broken....

Colten is our 15 (soon to be 16) year old.  He's been "going out" with Kendra for about 6 months now.  Kendra is from Tulelake.  Tulelake has always been Butte Valley's biggest rivals, since even before Shannon and I were in high school here.  We never liked those darn "Honkers", I'm not quite sure why we didn't like them, probably because that's what the upperclassmen told us to do....but it's a fact - the Bulldogs despise the Honkers. 
Tomorrow night we have a basketball game in Tulelake.  Now, just to give you a little back ground.  Butte Valley has a population of about 900, whereas Tulelake has about 1200 (I Know, big city!).  They always seemed to do better in sports that us - except of course when I was in high school!  We had a winning streak that wouldn't quit, not only in Basketball, but Volleyball and Football as well.  It was sooooo cool beating out those stupid geese!
But, tomorrow night's the night.  Most kids are going to bed with thoughts about strategy on winning.  I'm sure Colten's thinking about a broken heart.  He's a sweet boy, always has been.  He's never been one to hurt anyone's feelings.  He came to me tonight while I was in my bedroom packing for a weekend Mommy get-away.  He sorta lingered about.  I let him.  Finally it came out, "Mom, I'm thinking of breaking up with Kendra".  Big breath.  Poor kid (Kendra I mean, Colten's on the easy end of this deal).  There is never an easy way to "break up".  Yuck, I don't even like those words.  But, anyhow, Colten said, "Mom, I've prayed about it and I think it's what's right.  I'm going to be 16 next month and she won't be 14 until April.  I'm going to be able to drive and her dad still won't even let her come over without causing a fuss."  He's right, her daddy is having a rough time with the "Butte Valley Boy" snooping around his daughter.  I sure feel for the kid.  He doesn't get to see her very often, so I'm sure that's part of it.  Anyhow, I wasn't sure what kind of advise to give him, you see I'd always been on Kendra's side of this kind of deal.  I never broke up with anyone - they always dumped me.  Notice how I used the word "dumped", that a girl thing.  We'll never say "He broke up with me because of the distance".  We'll say this instead, "the jerk dumped me".

Oh me, young hearts.  All I can think of is that I'm glad I'm leaving town in the morning! 

No comments:

Post a Comment